Thursday 16 September 2010

The Knitter's Year by Debbie Bliss

A book of 52 simple seasonal knits.

I got this book at the talk we had the other night.I have been avidly reading since then .

This morning I popped into the lounge & was met with this sight!!



Well Maisie certainly thinks its NO1 on the cuddly stakes & gets her paws up on approval!!!

With Maisie's obvious love of the book I thought it was high time I wrote a review.

I love this book.

I am quite fussy about the feel of a book ,it just has to be right.The Knitters Year has a loose jacket to its hard binding which has a satin effect to the paper.I know its only a minor detail ,but as it matters to me ,it will matter to someone else out there.The jacket is superbly photographed as is the inside of the book & the title is embossed on the cover.The whole style of the book evokes thoughts of country New England /Scandinavian style.Under the loose cover is a very pretty hard cover in subtle shades of pink.

Each project has been selected to be suitable for a period of the year.For example ,a beach bag for summer,bunny egg cosies for Easter.The projects have been designed to appeal to a variety of knitters with varying skills.Non of the projects are what I would call difficult but some will be more challenging than others.

I really like the advice on yarn.So often people don't think to read their ball band for instructions on care.All of these projects are made in yarn which is easy to care for .

I am not keen on the text size,I have recently been having problems with my sight ,doing close work & reading.I found the text size slightly more difficult to read on the pattern but the description size is fine.Its probably just one point on the font size but I think would have been better with a larger font.I am sure there are a lot of people with sight challenges & this would help.You would however lose the lovely airy feel to the book as space would be lost.

This was the only negative about the book as I absolutely love everything else about it.I shall just have to wear my glasses to read it!

The photographic shots have been taken with beautiful props which give each item a timeless feel.

There are many items which I will be making for Christmas presents this year.The first will be those pretty little pom pom fingerless gloves.A gift to myself.With 52 items to make you are spoilt for choice.

The recommended retail price of the book is £18.99 & is by Quadrille Publishing.

Talking of gifts ,I would certainly bookmark this one as a gift for any knitter.I am pleased I have this book & will be making lots of things from it.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

awww, she looks so cute, i miss her :( xxx